SAND FINISH PAINT APPLICATION
How to achieve a cost effective Tuscan style rendered look
We recommended that you follow the procedure below exactly on a small test panel first before applying to your finished wall.
- Never apply in direct sunlight
- We use and recommend Dulux Acra Sand texture paint. Acra Sand is available from Dulux trade stores only
- Only a single base coat of this is required if topped with Dulux Weathershield (see top coat step below)
- If a different sand based finish is selected (than specified above) please ensure that it is self-priming on to fiber cement/masonry surfaces. If it isn’t, then a base primer may also be required
NOTE: This base Acra Sand coat can (in most cases) be tinted to the colour of your final topcoat at the time of purchase.
We use and recommend Dulux Weather Shield or a similar premium brand of exterior grade paint.
Surface Preparation: Posts, Trims & Post Tops
The metal surfaces to be painted must be clean, dry, and free of contaminants. Lightly rub down all metal and primed components with a Scotch-Brite pad before the application of paint.
Surface Preparation: Panels
Prepare the surface by ensuring that the Fiber Cement Panels are clean, dry and free of contaminants. This can be achieved by brushing down with a stiff brush or rubbing lightly with a Scotch-Brite pad.
Apply one coat of Dulux Arca sand to both panel surface, and Scotch-Brite Post surface with a 50 – 100 mm brush in a random criss-cross pattern. Don’t worry too much about patches that may look thicker or thinner in comparison to the surrounding areas. These will be evened out when the top paint finish is applied. Be cautious to avoid lumps or runs in the sand texture, and try to maintain a wet edge to the paint.
- Once you have applied the texture, don’t go back over it while it is starting to dry.
This will fluff up the semi-dried texture finish. If you feel an area needs re-applying, wait until the sand texture is completely dry.
- If your wall contains a joint, paint the Acra Sand over the joint as normal.
The joint will not completely disappear, but will leave a faint line once completed.
- Once the base coat of Acra Sand has dried, apply a topcoat of Dulux Weather Shield exterior paint (or similar) in the colour of your choice.
Application Procedure for Dulux Weather Shield
- Two coats of paint are required. We recommend applying the first coat with a roller.
- Cut in the sections that the roller missed with a brush before applying the second coat.
Let the cutting in dry,
and apply a second coat of Weather Shield to the cutting in areas before to the second and final roller coat.
- On a large job, a spray application may be justified.
Please see the paint manufacturer for advice on spray application.
We recommend you paint your wall within 90 days of installation.